Friday, July 4, 2008

London: Jump n' Shout!

August 26 – September 1st

After my first experience in London I'm sure you're wondering what the hell would possess me to go back there. The Notting Hill Carnival of course!
This was indeed a time to celebrate. I completed my entire trip and found the best 'after party' ever. Let's just say I had a good time. Three days of dancing in the street, eating, and video taping. I checked out all the sound systems, marched down the parade route with a drumming squad, and posed with male carnival dancers wearing beaded thongs and feathers. I also got my hair done (thank God), bought some clothes, did my laundry, slept, slept, and slept some more. I was very comfortable because my friend John Paul finished all of his home renovations and his flat was beautiful. I have to say this because it's true and if I didn't, he would never let my ass stay there again!

A couple of days after the Carnival John Paul took me to an invitation only drag ball. This was a big deal because it was being judged by Pat McGrath the super star make up artist for Italian Vogue and Dior. I have always heard stories of drag balls back in the day in New York, but I had never been to one. John Paul's friends the 'House of Fierce Nest' were defending their title this year. Serious Business. The crowd waiting to get in was pure designer all-star material. This ball was the circus times ten. The competing 'houses' included 'House of Dubois', 'House of Egypt' and of course the 'House of Fierce Nest'. In one of the dressing rooms a 'lady' asked me which house I was with? (She thought I was a queen!) I immediately said 'Lyons!'. She thought out loud for a moment 'House of Lyons?'

I saw Banjee baby mammas (with a real baby!), 'Naomi' out of jail, a home coming queen, and so much more. These queens were creative and boy did they know how to put on a show. There were several celebrity judges seated at a table at the end of the runway. Dangerous territory. By the end of the event all of girls jumped in front of and on TOP of the table to get their pose on. Incredible! You had to see it to believe it. These girls wanted that trophy baaaaaaaaaad! Needless to say, the 'House of Fierce Nest' Vogued their hearts out and took the trophy home once again.

After all that excitement is was once again time to say goodbye.

Last stop: U.S. of A.

No comments: