Friday, July 4, 2008

C'est La Vie, Paris

August 21-25

The overnight train provided me with a much needed deep sleep. I was so comfortable I really didn't want to get out of my bunk when the train was pulling into the station. I arrived at my hotel in the Latin Quarter and noticed the weather was overcast……

The first day in Paris I just chilled because I was truly exhausted from my previous great escape. The next day it began to drizzle……..and then rain……and then pour! I would soon find out from the hotel clerk that it has been raining in Paris most of the summer! ^$*@&! I then began to pray that it would not continue to rain while I was there. I've been to Paris before so I wasn't pre-occupied with sight seeing but I did want to shoot. Especially since I left Morocco to get there!

I decided the best thing to do since it was raining was to go to the Louvre.
I went. It was great. I got completely soaked on my way there and hurricane torrential rain soaked on the way back. It was an ugly, turn your umbrella inside out, windy rain. And it didn't help that I got ridiculously lost for three hours trying to find my way back to the hotel! Every time I saw a taxi (which was not often) I didn't take it because I just knew I was sooo close to my hotel (idiot)!
The weather for the week predicted rain for the next couple of days. At that point I decided I was getting the hell out of there.

That night I met a young Iraq War veteran from Seattle who decided to explore Europe for the summer. He told me about his 'tour in the desert', his health issues, and his life as a civilian. We both agreed the rain sucked and ran into each other the next morning with our bags packed for the train station.
Once I arrived at the Euro Star counter I changed my ticket for the next departing train.

Next stop: Jolly Old England

No comments: