Friday, July 4, 2008

Discovering Dublin

Monday, July 02, 2007
DUBLIN, IRELAND

June 25 My backpack (I have one bag for 3 months) is too damn heavy and I need to find wheels for it. I know they speak English in Ireland, but I can't understand a word they're saying! The accent is DEEP! Meeting my Brasilian friend Valerius at Trinity College in the city center. He is amazine. We immediately clicked. It has been six years since we first met in London. It was for the opening exhibition for my Flag book. We (John Paul, myself, Walda, and Loic) got dressed up in tuxedos and Givenchy couture dresses and stormed into the show triumphantly. It was my european debut and it was great. Now Valerius and I are back together again. He's Brasilian, funny and kind. We went for Thai food and it was so good! It was'Gorgeous' as he likes to say. Great food, a bottle of wine, and liquers. He turned me on to liquers, now it's my new thing. I'm hooked for life. Mmmmm orange peel and ginger flavor and the other tasted like melted chocolate. We stuffed ourselves silly, laughed like kids, talked about love, adventure, money and everything else. Delightful. We walked along St. Stephen's Green park. Made another stop for two rounds of caparinhas, and discovered we shared the same orisha (African spirit). We got drunk because we were in Ireland! It was a beautiful night with a beautiful friend. It was a brilliant kickoff for my european trip. Life is good and Valerius is good too.

June 26 Finally slept late-until noon. It felt soo good. Checked the video equipment, and digital camera. Rode the bus to the Institute of Art and Design. I feel a bit lonely but that's the U.K. It's the overcast weather that killls me. It changes my mood, but the Ipod helps. I want to talk to my NY friends, but I need to adjust to the road. As soon as I start shooting I'll feel better. Oh by the way, I have to wear two shirts, a denim jacket and scarf. It's cold like that in June! But I must say Ireland is beautiful, green and lush. I have never seen so many redheads in my life or raven hair with blue eyes. They have a great look. Very different from the English-heavier, more muscular bodies.

June 27 I attended the Photography and Globalisation conference. I didn't realize people actually READ their papers to the audience!???? How boring and weird is that! Who wants to listen to someone read to them? I don't. Pablo Neruda love poems, yes. Academic papers? Hell no! The next weird thing: Presenters are speaking about images but not showing images???? Huh? This is a new one on me. I jetted after a few hours-that was enough for me. Met Valerius for Brasilian food. He arranged for the chef to make a special dish of Moqueca (seafood coconut stew). Gorgeous! More good food, wine, and caparinhas.

June 28 I presented my lecture about the Flag book. I did not READ to the audience, and I showed 26 images. The audience really appreciated this, because they had a chance to wake up! Met Vassilis, a Greek photographer based in London. Interesting, says a lot.

June 29 Began shooting Flag Int'l. It felt great. Just getting started came naturally. Everyone I approached said yes. I love the Irish because they are very straight forward, unpretentious, and funny as hell. I got some really good shots and video interviews: A woman clipping her hedges and shooting her in her garden, German rockers, drunk British soccer players, etc. Shooting was basically a stick and move operation, but it worked well for the short amount of time I had. In the U.K. you have to work around the constant rain and dark skies. If the weather pauses you have to work quickly. One thing I realize is I have to go to bed earlier. I can't afford to miss prime light hours or lose focus. Dinner with Valerius again at Mona Lisa. Fantastic prawns, lamb with wine sauce, potatoes, tiramisu, and South African wine. It was Gorgeous!

June 30 Mad busy and hectic. Not really a good day. Dublin finally became hot and sunny, but I was stuck in horrendous traffic on a City Tour bus. We were going so slow I started to fall asleep! Found a roll cart for my bag, quickly said goodbye to Valerius, and rushed to the airport.
The taxi driver showed me the hood and kept referring to it as 'as bad as the f******g Bronx!' He later went on to tell me that George Bush is too honest, that's what gets him in trouble.
He's keeping the world safe and Kennedy was the best president America ever had.' Of course the day I chose to fly to London there are two terrorist car bomb attacks at the airport and Buckingham palace. Timing is everything! Always in the thick of it. My flight is now delayed. So now what is there to do but drink a 'goodbye' Ireland Guiness at the airport bar.

No comments: