Friday, July 4, 2008

The Grand Finale, New York

September 1st

I boarded Air India and flew home on the first of September. Of course one of my bags popped, and climbing the stairs to my apartment, my only remaining pair of shoes broke. So I hobbled up five flights of stairs with a 300 pound suitcase (5) and a broken carry on bag, half barefoot. My trip was officially OVER!

Coming home is a bittersweet affair. On the one hand I can truly say 'mission accomplished'.
I photographed, interviewed, and video taped every conceivable type of person possible. I traveled to nine countries in nine weeks without getting lost, killed, or ripped off. One thing I am definitely proud of is the fact that I completed this project using the original flag from the first book. My flag has become a piece of art in itself.

Before leaving I joked that I needed to complete this project while I have the energy for it. Well that didn't turn out to be a joke after all. I'm not sure I would be able to pull this project off in the same manner five years from now. It was and is physically exhausting. Since returning I am suffering from post-project pain. My legs are throbbing, my shoulders and arms are sore and I have no desire to get on any mode of transportation.

But even with all the aches, my journey became more than an adventure, it was a wild escapade which I will never forget, do not regret, and cannot duplicate.

As they say, 'No man is an island', so I would like to take this time to thank all the people involved in making this project happen. My family, Rail Europe, all of the people who participated in the project, my assistants: Yanara, Emily, Nadjib, Arnau, and Giladji. Friends: John Paul, Dwayne, Easton, Jamel.
Special shout out to Dara for INSITING I write this time consuming damn blog! Good idea.

If there is something in life you always wanted to do: Do It.
If people give you reasons not to do it: Do It.
If you don't know how you are going to get the money to do it: Do It.
If you're not sure who will understand it: Do It.
If people will think you're crazy: Definitely Do It.

Inshala,
Lauri Lyons

No comments: