Friday, July 4, 2008

Barcelona Especial

Barcelona Especial

Barcelona, August 6-12 As a little anecdote, I must tell you that on the train from Rome to Milan I sat next to a nun! The book I was reading was 'Conversations with God'. (I swear I'm not making this up!)Because life is full of contrasts, the connecting train from Milan to Barcelona was pure hell. First of all it was the most expensive train ticket I had to purchase. The 'sleeper' car was teeeeeeeny. Just think of a sardine can on wheels packed with four women (American, Russian, Dominican and Mexican) and all their bags. There were four pull out beds and literally no space for luggage. We had to stack the bags in the middle of the 'room' which covered the view and didn't allow the door to completely shut. Of course the train conductor made no stop announcements and we arrived in Barcelona almost two hours late. Upon arrival I departed the train and the handle to my suitcase immediately detached from the rest of the suitcase. I was literally standing on the platform with a handle in my hand! No suitcase, just a handle. After screaming *&%!

I managed to slowly drag suitcase number 4 to a taxi stand and head for my friend Arnau's house.Arnau's casa is truly an artist's home. He and his roommate live in a converted two story garage with three make shift bedrooms. All of the furnishings were either found on the street (literally) or hand made. Red velvet curtains, mannequins, view finder cameras, bird cages and a flamenco dance floor with a mirrored wall in the center of the house. If you have ever been to Barron Claiborne's studio it this house was incredibly similar. They even had a large model airplane with wings inscribed with the word 'Baron'. Six degrees of separation.....

After finally being able to take a bath and wash my clothes Arnau asks me to run an errand with him....on bicycle. I have not been on a bike in God only knows how long and I am wearing a micro-mini skirt and lace up sandals. Bike, skirt, sandals,traffic. I don't know how I pulled it off but I didn't flash anyone, crash my bike, or kill myself as I rode through Barcelona. We walked down 'La Rambla' which is the most incredible shopping street in Europe. I don't mean shopping as in designer goods. On La Rambla you will find turtles for sale, chickens for sale, flowers, magazines, and the most outrageous and creative street performers dressed in elaborate costumes.

For lunch we stopped at a food stand in the market and I had one of the most amazing fresh seafood platters I've ever had in my life. Giant prawns, octopus, calamari, mussels with lemon and olive oil. It was crazy.The following days Arnau begins assisting me. Everything goes well but I quickly realize that Barcelona is similar to NY in this way: everyone you meet is from somewhere else. Recent E.U. immigration has totally flooded the city. Which makes the city vibrant and interesting, but don't plan on meeting any Spaniards!.

Also I learn that in Barcelona people don't really speak Spanish or consider themselves to be Spaniards, they are and speak Catalan. Okaaaaay. After the first day of shooting Arnau becomes busy collecting TV's for an installation project, so I head out alone with a 'translation card' to hand to perspective models. It worked but it was slow going. I also realized that I was beginning to get grumpy, which is unusual. But all the traveling started to wear on me, even though I was fighting it. I became really irritated by things that I usually would not even notice. I had to admit to myself and my flat mates that I am actually human and needed to rest.

Once back up to speed I manuvered the metro system and shoot in the Gothic Quarter, Ravala, Barcelonita (beach), La Rambla and the surrounding neighborhoods. I go to a local market where they sell everything under the sun from flamenco dresses, wood furniture, electrical parts and SUITCASES, all laid out the ground. I buy SUITCASE NUMBER 5!

Sunday,August12th I booked a ticket to catch the overnight train heading for the south of Spain where I would board a ferry to Morocco. But something happened……On the way to the train station it began to get really, really dark. The wind picked up and started throwing debris in the air. All of a sudden there was a bolt of lightening and the sky completely opened up. It poured like I. don't. know. what. Everyone in the street began to run hysterically towards the train station. I was running sideways (if that's possible) to avoid getting hit in the head with flying garbage and because the rain felt like hail. I think I am the only person on earth who has ever been caught in a rainstorm on the way to the desert! Always in the thick of it…

Next stop: Fes, Morocco

No comments: