Friday, July 4, 2008

London Calling

July 1-10th 2007 London is a trip. First of all it rained 6 out of the 10 days I was there!When I say rain let me clarify the situation: Each day I went out to shoot (like a fool) my clothes, socks, shoes, and equipment bag were completly soaked through. I literally had to put everything in a dryer each evening! And this was while carrying an umbrella. England received severe flooding (people died) and even had a day of snow in the northern region! This was the first week of bloody July!

During my stay in London I crashed at my friend John Paul's house in Notting Hill. His flat is around the corner from the Portobello market, a great location. One thing I must mention is his house was under constant repair. Let me clarify the situation: The light fuse popped, the hot water wasn't working, the dryer was replaced, the window washer showed up, the guest room (my room) was being painted, a new wardrobe was delivered, a new bed was delivered, the electrician was coming, and the bathroom door always locked everyone inside! Other than that it was perfect! (thanks JP). Oh yeah, his Russian stylist friend was moving out and his Italian boyfriend was moving in. One last thing: JP has been asking me to visit for years. I told him the dates I was coming and he was soooooo excited. I get there and he has to go to Rome for 5 of the 10 days!

As I said before I went out to shoot everyday. What did I get in London besides wet?Rappers, twins living in the PJ's, a little girl with her baby doll in a stroller, Irqui women in the park (4th of July!), three muslim girls with designer head scarves, metal head family in chinatown, and 2 Greek gynecologists and their mid-wife girlfriend (I swear I'm not making this up!) While shooting near Brick Lane (a Bangladesh area) a young loudmouth and his two side kicks grabbed my flag and started screaming 'F*** you! F*** your flag, don't involve my people.' Of course I asked him to do all that on tape!Needless to say he didn't because he's just a loudmouth.

I also went out to a small lounge and of course it was 'Broooklyn in Britian' night.Great live band with a guest musician from Brooklyn. Can never get away from it......I also photographed a brother who turns out new at least 15 of my friends in New York(hi Eric).London was good, but as the British say 'Gotta love it and leave it'. Next stop Rotterdam, Netherlands.

No comments: